Mercury Health Hazards
While Flurescent light bulbs contain a very small amount of mercury which is sealed within a glass tubing, if shattered and the mercury is mishandled they can be a danger to your health.
Elemental (metallic) mercury primarily causes health effects when it is breathed as a vapor where it can be absorbed through the lungs. These exposures can occur when elemental mercury is spilled or products that contain elemental mercury break and expose mercury to the air, particularly in warm or poorly ventilated indoor spaces.
Mercury Exposure Symptoms Include
At Higher Levels of Mercury Exposure
- Emotional Changes (e.g., mood swings, irritability, nervousness)
- Neuromuscular Changes (such as weakness, muscle atrophy, twitching)
- Disturbances in sensations
- Changes in nerve responses
- Performance Deficits on tests of cognitive function
- Kidney Effects
- Respiratory Failure
People concerned about their exposure to elemental mercury should consult their physician.